(Member, IEEE) received the B.S., M.S. and Dr.Eng. degrees in Applied Physics from Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, in 1970, 1973 and 1977, respectively.
He is currently a Professor in the Department of Applied Physics, School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University. Since 2000, he has been a director of the Humanoid Robotics Institute, Waseda University. From 1979 to 1991, he was with the Faculty of Science, Toho University, Funabashi. He was a Vice President of International Computer Music Association until 2001. He is the author of over 200 technical publications, proceedings, editorials and books. He is a reviewer for many journals and conferences on computer music, computer vision, robotics and neural computing. His research interests are in human communication and Kansei information processing including image processing, music systems, neural computing and humanoid robotics. From 2003, he serves as chair of the promotion committee, IEEE Tokyo Section.
Membership of professional institutions
- ICMA (International Computer Music Association)
- IEICE (Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers)
- IPSJ (Information Processing Society of Japan)
- SICE (The Society of Instrument and Control Engineers)
- I.I.E.E.J (Institute of Image Electronics Engineers of Japan)
- RSJ (The Robotics Society of Japan)
- Human Interface Society of Japan
- Virtual Reality Society of Japan